Power Grid BGG link
- 2 to 6
- Play time
- 120 minutes
- Friedemann Friese
- 2F-Spiele, 999 Games, Albi, Arclight, Brain Games, Edge Entertainment, Galápagos Jogos, Gém Klub Kft., Giochi Uniti, Hobby World, Ideal Board Games, Kaissa Chess & Games, Korea Boardgames Co., Ltd., Lacerta, Lautapelit.fi, Rio Grande Games, Runadrake, Siam Board Games, Smart Ltd, Stratelibri, Swan Panasia Co., Ltd.
- 7.85 (BGG average)
- Auction: Turn Order Until Pass
- Catch the Leader
- Network and Route Building
- Turn Order: Stat-Based
- Components: Map (Continental / National scale)
- Country: Germany
- Country: USA
- Game: Power Grid
- Mechanism: Tableau Building
Power Grid is the updated release of the Friedemann Friese crayon game Funkenschlag. It removes the crayon aspect from network building in the original edition, while retaining the fluctuating commodities market like Crude: The Oil Game and an auction round intensity reminiscent of The Princes of Florence.
The objective of Power Grid is to supply the most cities with power when someone's network gains a predetermined size. In this new edition, players mark pre-existing routes between cities for connection, and then bid against each other to purchase the power plants that they use to power their cities.
However, as plants are purchased, newer, more efficient plants become available, so by merely purchasing, you're potentially allowing others access to superior equipment.
Additionally, players must acquire the raw materials (coal, oil, garbage, and uranium) needed to power said plants (except for the 'renewable' windfarm/ solar plants, which require no fuel), making it a constant struggle to upgrade your plants for maximum efficiency while still retaining enough wealth to quickly expand your network to get the cheapest routes.
Power Grid FAQ - Please read this before posting a rules question! Many questions are asked over and over in the forums... If you have a question about a specific expansion, please check the rules forum or FAQ for that particular expansion.