Whatever half finished nonsense I've been playing with in recent times.
Writings - Stories
Back when we used to regularly add more than podcasts to the Staggering Stories website, we had an almost insatiable need for more material. Occasionally I would be persuaded or otherwise moved to write a story for the site. Even now I sometimes feel that inner compulsion to make up more nonsense. Below are some of those stories (I certainly do not claim they are any good, much less entertaining!).
- Chief Inspector Grey-um #2: Last Seen Puzzling
- Published 25th December 2013. Grey-um, the morose toy detective, is back. This time the villain is playing a game and maybe a deadly one at that!
- Chief Inspector Grey-um #1: The Dead of Lower Futon
- Published 23rd December 2012. Grey-um is a hard drinking, no nonsense sort of toy detective. He isn't afraid of the mean streets or morosity.
- The Doctor's Head Goes for a Roll
- Published 18th December 2006. The Head of Pertwee stars is this exciting origin story!
- Mr. Dalek Goes for a Glide
- Published 5th May 2003. Even toy Daleks are psychotic but what can the other toys do against his reign of terror?
Death Bringer - Freelance Peacekeeping Agent
- Memoirs of a Mechanoid: One of Those Days
- Published 29th August 2001.
- Memoirs of a Mechanoid: Two to Tangle
- Published 12th February 2002.
- Memoirs of a Mechanoid: Only Three Survived?
- Published 20th May 2002.
- Memoirs of a Mechanoid: For the fun of it
- Published 1st July 2002.
- Memoirs of a Mechanoid: The Five Spires
- Published 12th August 2002.
- Memoirs of a Mechanoid: The Sixth Sense
- Published 28th September 2002.
- Memoirs of a Mechanoid: The Seventh Gate of Hell
- Published 27th September 2004.
Doctor Who Short Stories
- Doctor Who: The Last Hope
- Published 11th September 2013. A story best understood by dedicated fans! The Time War is going badly but they have left their best to last.
- Doctor Who: A Leadworth Christmas
- Published 26th December 2011. Maybe there is some Christmas magic to be found in Leadworth, after all...
- Doctor Who: Meanwhile in the TARDIS - Why Us?
- Published 29th November 2010. In between adventures, the Doctor is asked "Why do you look so human?"
Anthology Short Stories
- Published 26th November 2007.In a world of digital convergence, what is the ultimate step?
- The Hospital
- Published 27th February 2006.What might happen if a ghost hunting 'entertainment' programme met reality?
- The Trials of Christmas
- Published 28th November 2005.Christmas is hard work for some. At what cost?
- Published 8th November 2004.What happens when one technology controls the whole world? Is this future really just around the corner?
- God Complex
- Published 23rd June 2003.Do you have consciousness? Does anyone else?
- The Camera Club
- Published 3rd February 2003.Where's the danger in wanting to become a celebrity?
- The Control Man
- Published 9th April 2002. How far must you go to completely control your own life?
- Mind the Gap
- Published 7th January 2002. The Human mind is a powerful thing but what happens when your mind is no longer your own? What happens when you fight to save it?
Writings - Musings
Again, these opinion pieces were written for the Staggering Stories website and could probably be considered a form of proto-blog. There is a more up to date (though no better maintained) blog.
- Pondering on Computer Illiteracy
- Published 29th August 2001. No, I will not fix your computer for you!
- Pondering on Reality
- Published 27th August 2002. Nobody believes in everything but if you believe in something, shouldn't you?
- Pondering on Stretch-o-Vision™
- Published 7th October 2002. Don't stretch 4:3 images into 16:9 widescreen. Just don't.
- Doctor Who: I Remember... "Frightening Old Grannies"
- Published 23rd November 2003. For the fortieth anniversary of Doctor Who I share some memories.
- Pondering on Canned TV
- Published 23rd February 2004. What is wrong with a TV industry that destroys its best products?
- Pondering on Hallucinations
- Published 26th April 2004. Don't believe what you experience, it's all interpreted.
- Pondering on Before and After the new 'Doctor Who'
- Published 28th March 2005. Doctor Who is back and here are my thoughts directly before and after the first new episode since 1996.
- Pondering on In the Midst of the New 'Doctor Who'
- Published 25th April 2005. A few episodes in, how is the new series of Doctor Who looking?
- Pondering on the Sith
- Published 30th May 2005. As a long time Star Wars fan, what is the verdict on the just completed prequel trilogy?
- Pondering on Doctor Who Series Two, Season One
- Published 27th June 2005. A first season of the revived Doctor Who series was complete but what did this lifelong fan think of it?
- Pondering on Serenity
- Published 31st October 2005. Another 'pondering' that is more of a review, this time for the Firefly spin-off film, Serenity.
- Pondering on Doctor Who Series Two, Season Two
- Published 28th August 2006. A second season of the revived Doctor Who series but what is the verdict?
Writings - Reviews
More content originally written for the Staggering Stories website, these explicitly for the reviews section. The travelogues in particular were mainly written so that in years to come (such as now) I would remember the trips!
- Doctor Who: A Christmas Carol Review
- Published 20th December 2010. A spoiler free review of the 2010 Christmas Doctor Who special, thanks to a BFI preview screening.
- Doctor Who Live: The Monsters Are Coming Review
- Published 29th November 2010. My thoughts on the live Doctor Who arena tour.
- The 2010 Doctor Who BBC Prom Review
- Published 30th August 2010. Again, we were fortunate to attend the second Doctor Who Prom at the Royal Albert Hall.
- Egypt Travelogue
- Published 22nd December 2008. Some of the Staggering Stories gang holiday in Egypt (before the troubles!)
- The 2008 Doctor Who BBC Prom Review
- Published 25th August 2008. We were lucky enough to attend the Royal Albert Hall concert.
- LugRadio Live 2007 Review
- Published 30th July 2007. My grand old time at the third LugRadio event.
- Star Wars Celebration Europe Review
- Published 30th July 2007. The power of money is strong with this one. Hear how we were packed in like Mon Calamaris!
- LugRadio Live 2006 Review
- Published 31st July 2006. My impressions of the second LugRadio event.
- LugRadio Live 2005 Review
- Published 25th July 2005. My experiences at the first LugRadio Live Linux and opensource event.
- Rome Travelogue
- Published 6th September 2004. Another Staggering trip, this one to the Italian capital.
- Tonb's Tales from Tatooine
- Published 9th August 2004. Hear the story of my first forays into Star Wars Galaxies and MMOs in general.
- Rhodes Travelogue
- Published 19th July 2004. A trip to the Greek island of Rhodes.
Since way back in 2001 some friends and I have built up the Staggering Stories website. From June 2007 we have made a regular podcast of the same name, which is now the primary output of the site. It's not an exageration to say that a significant amount of my free time is devoted to this podcast and, despite the time sink that it is, I am very proud of it - that is almost wholly down to the great fun my friends bring to it.
The Doctor Who Podcast Alliance
I maintain the Doctor Who Podcast Alliance web site. This acts as something of a central repository of Doctor Who related podcasts, for both the benefit of listeners looking for such things and as a way to draw the podcasting community together.